Check the English language and academic requirements:
English language requirements
What are the English language requirements to study at a New Zealand university?
If English is not your first language, you will be required to provide evidence of your proficiency in English. Undergraduate or postgraduate students can satisfy the English language requirements in a number of ways depending on your circumstances.
In general, a minimum score of 6.0 in IELTS is required for admission at the first-year level. An alternative is TOEFL (iBT): minimum score 79-80.
It is important to note some universities require higher scores for some programmes. Please check requirements on the universities' websites.
A minimum score of 6.5 in IELTS is required for admission at the graduate level. An alternative is TOEFL (iBT): minimum score 90-100. It is important to note some universities require higher scores for some programmes. Please check requirements on the universities' websites.
Am I eligible to apply for admission at a New Zealand university?
First year international students can gain admission to New Zealand universities in the following ways:
- Complete a qualification in their home country, which is recognised in New Zealand as equivalent to the New Zealand University Entrance Standard.
- Attend secondary school in New Zealand and achieving the University Entrance Standard or other equivalents.
- Complete a foundation programme at a university in New Zealand.
- Complete a recognised university foundation programme offered by a non-university provider in New Zealand.
Am I an international student?
Domestic students are:
- New Zealand citizens, or hold a New Zealand residence class visa; or
- Australian citizens or permanent residents currently residing in New Zealand; or
- New Zealand citizens from the Cook Islands, Tokelau or Niue.
Check here for the definition of a domestic student – Ministry of Education
Otherwise you are an international student.
For advice about obtaining New Zealand residency, contact Immigration New Zealand.