Transport Research Scholarship (Master's)
In 2021, Te Manatū Waka–Ministry of Transport and Waka Kotahi, NZ Transport Agency jointly established and funded a range of Transport Research Scholarships. The scholarships were established to support students undertaking postgraduate research focusing on transport and its role and impact on New Zealand society.
In 2022. Waka Kotahi, NZ Transport Agency is the sole funder for this award and is interested in applications from students working on:
- Improving freight connections for economic development.
- Developing a super safe transport system where no one is killed or seriously injured.
- Developing better travel options.
- Developing low carbon transport systems that support emissions reductions while improving safety and inclusive access.
Applications will be accepted from candidates:
- Who are enrolled in, or eligible to enrol in, full-time or part-time postgraduate study at a New Zealand university.
- Who are completing the research component of their degree in the year immediately following the award (part-time scholars have a maximum of two years to complete).
- Whose proposed course of study includes a research component with 60–120 credits remaining in their qualification.
- Whose research focuses on strategic priorities of importance to the funder as described in Appendix 1 of the regulations.
- Who have not previously received a Transport Research Scholarship.
The selection committee will determine the value and tenure of the scholarships based on the following criteria:
- Relevance of the research to the funder's strategic priorities detailed in Appendix 1 of the regulations.
- Relevance of the research to the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
- Demonstrated academic merit of the candidate.
- Genuine interest in the research topic and evidence of commitment to ensure the role of transportation enables New Zealand society to flourish.
Value and number awarded
One or more research scholarships, based on the information included in Appendix 1 of the regulations, may be awarded annually.
Funding is up to $6,000 to $15,000 a year at postgraduate level.
1 August 2022
31 October 2022.
How to apply
Read the regulations, strategic priorities and related informaiton provided in the appendices.
Apply online here.