Transport Research Scholarships
Te Manatū Waka–Ministry of Transport and Waka Kotahi, NZ Transport Agency have established, and jointly fund, the Transport Research Scholarships. The scholarships were established to support students undertaking postgraduate research focusing on transport and its role and impact on Aotearoa New Zealand society.
Applications will be accepted from candidates:
- Who are enrolled in, or are eligible to enrol in, full-time or part-time postgraduate study at a New Zealand university.
- Who are completing the research component of their degree in the year immediately following the award (part-time scholars have a maximum of two years to complete).
- Whose proposed course of study includes a research component with 30–120 credits remaining in their qualification.
- Whose research focuses on the topics, questions or strategic priorities of importance to the funders as described in Appendices 1–3 of the Regulations.
The selection committees will determine the value and tenure of the scholarships based on the following criteria:
- Relevance of the research to the funders’ topics, questions or strategic priorities detailed in Appendices 1–3 respectively.
- Relevance of the research to the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
- Demonstrated academic merit of the candidate.
- Genuine interest in the research topic and evidence of commitment to ensure the role of transportation enables New Zealand society to flourish.
Value and number awarded
One or more research scholarships, based on the information included in the Appendices, may be awarded annually.
A range of scholarship categories are available from each of the funders:
- Research and evaluation scholarships addressing a topic listed in Appendix 1 – Ministry of Transport.
- Transport outcomes research scholarships addressing the questions listed in Appendix 2 – Ministry of Transport.
- Strategic land transport priorities scholarships addressing the priorities listed in Appendix 3 – Waka Kotahi.
- Short-term student research scholarships (for example, support for summer studentships) addressing the priorities listed in Appendix 3 – Waka Kotahi.
Up to $6,000 to $15,000 a year at postgraduate level.
12 November 2021.
How to apply
Read the Regulations.
Read the research priorities and related information provided in the appendices of the Regulations.
Apply online here.