The Research Committee provides advice to Universities New Zealand on any issue related to research or research policy in universities. The committee provides a link at national level with other bodies concerned with research, such as Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, the Health Research Council and the Royal Society of New Zealand, which administers the Marsden Fund.
Further functions of the Research Committee are to develop information resources on university research, maintain an overview of university research surveys and requests for statistical information and develop links with research bodies overseas and with other research groupings within New Zealand, such as the Crown Research Institutes and their representative body, Science New Zealand.
The Research Committee is chaired by a vice-chancellor and made up of the senior executive from each university with overall responsibility for research policy, either as Deputy Vice-Chancellor or as head of the research or planning function.
Key UNZ contact
Jonathan Hughes, Portfolio Manager - Research and Innovation
- Professor Harlene Hayne (Chair), Vice-Chancellor, University of Otago
- Professor Jim Metson, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research), University of Auckland
- Professor Nigel Hemmington, Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research), AUT
- Professor Bruce Clarkson, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research), University of Waikato
- Professor Giselle Byrnes, Assistant Vice-Chancellor (Research, Academic & Enterprise), Massey University
- Professor Margaret Hyland, Deputy Provost (Research), Victoria University of Wellington
- Professor Ian Wright, Deputy Vice-Chancellor, University of Canterbury
- Professor David Simmons, Director Research Strategy & Development, Lincoln University
- Professor Richard Blaikie, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research & Enterprise), University of Otago