Back to top

Erasmus+ for students

Students and recent graduates of a New Zealand university may apply to take part in the Erasmus+ programme’s Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters scheme or a recognised student study abroad or exchange programme.

1. Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters

Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters (EMJM) are high-level and integrated study programmes at master’s level. They are designed and delivered by an international partnership of higher education institutions (HEIs) and involve at least three HEIs from three different countries, of which at least two must be European Union member states. Students in these programmes obtain a jointly awarded degree.

Scholarships are available to cover the cost of a student’s participation in the programme, travel and a living allowance.

Additional financial assistance may be available for students with individual needs, depending on the level of their disability or support required.

Applicants may also be eligible to apply for one of the postgraduate scholarships and fellowships Universities New Zealand administers.

You should ask your university about its potential scholarships too.

Read more about EMJM and how to apply on the EMJM website and find out what master’s degrees are available in the Erasmus Mundus Catalogue.

2. International credit mobility

Opportunities to study abroad through the international credit mobility (ICM) scheme are available at short-cycle, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels.

Your home institution and the receiving institution must have an inter-institutional agreement between them for you to study there with Erasmus+. 

Study can be carried out in any field. The physical mobility can last from two to 12 months or between five and 30 days if part of blended mobility where a virtual component facilitates collaborative online learning and teamwork.

The scheme provides funding support for travel and living costs.

Postgraduate applicants may also be eligible for one of the scholarships and fellowships Universities New Zealand administers.

You should contact your university’s international relations office to see if it has one or more Erasmus+ partnerships in place and about the ICM application and selection process.

You should also ask your university about its potential scholarships.

Read more on the ICM website.

For any further information about either EMJM or ICM, email