Back to top

Visa/work rights

How do I get a Visa?

You will need a student visa to study in New Zealand. If your course is less than 12 weeks long, then you only need a visitor visa.

Here’s how to apply for your student visa.

Find out more at All about Student visas – Immigration New Zealand.

Try NZReady which is a planning tool developed by Immigration NZ to help you move to and settle in New Zealand to study.

Can I work while I study?

If you are in New Zealand on a student visa you may be allowed to work part-time but there are rules you need to know.

Check the NZStudy+Work website.

New Zealand employment laws help ensure fair workplaces. The Worktalk website tells you about your rights and responsibilities.

Can I stay in New Zealand after I graduate?

You will need a visa to stay in New Zealand after your studies are completed.

New Zealand offers a graduate work pathway, to enable graduates to gain work experience in a field directly related to their degree.

Depending on your area of study, you may have the opportunity to stay and work in New Zealand for up to four years, and possibly even gain residence.

Check for more information at NZ Study+Work

Next page

Support available