Tālofa lava, Mālō e lelei, Kia orana, Ni sa bula vinaka, Halo olaketa, Kam na mauri, Noa'ia, Aloha, Fakaalofa lahi atu, Ia orana, Mahalo, Mālō ni, Kia ora and warm Pacific greetings.
Komiti Pasifika's role is to advance and promote the collective national interests of New Zealand universities for any matters relating to the advancement of Pasifika. The Komiti was established in 2018 and the current co-chairs are Assistant Vice-Chancellor Hon. Luamanuvao Dame Winnie Laban, Victoria University of Wellington, and Pro Vice-Chancellor Associate Professor Toeolesulusulu Damon Salesa, University of Auckland.
Komiti Pasifika Members
- Assistant Vice-Chancellor (Pasifika), Hon. Luamanuvao Dame Winnie Laban DNZM QSO, Victoria University of Wellington
- Pro Vice-Chancellor Pacific, Associate Professor Damon Salesa FRSNZ, The University of Auckland
- Assistant Vice-Chancellor Pacific Advancement and AUT South Campus, Walter Fraser, AUT
- Assistant Vice-Chancellor Pasifika, Dr Keaka Hemi, University of Waikato
- Dean Pacific, Professor Palatasa Havea, Massey University
- Assistant Vice-Chancellor Māori and Pacific, Dr Dione Payne, Lincoln University
- Director of Pasifika Development, Pauline Laufutu-Simpson, University of Canterbury
- Director of Pacific Development, Dr Tasileta Teevale NZOM, University of Otago
Back row (Left to right): Pauline Luafutu-Simpson (Canterbury), Associate Professor Toeolesulusulu Damon Salesa (UoA), Dr Keaka Hemi (Waikato), Dr Tasileta Teevale (Otago)
Front row (Left to right): Professor Palatasa Havea (Massey), Luamanuvao Dame Winnie Laban (Victoria), Walter Fraser (AUT)
Komiti Pasifika Facts and Figures
See our latest facts and statistics about Pasifika students within our universities - Building Pasifika Success
The Cycle 6 Academic Audit includes an Enhancement Theme in which universities collectively address an issue which is important to individual universities and of national significance. The topic for the Cycle 6 Enhancement Theme is “Access, outcomes and opportunity for Māori students and for Pasifika students”. An Enhancement Theme Steering Group has been formed to guide and oversee theme activites and progress. Luamanuvao Dame Winnie Laban and Tasileta Teevale are Komiti Pasifika's representatives on this committee.
2020/2021 Komiti Pasifika Updates
- "Researchers and scholars elected to Academy" (Royal Society Te Apārangi, 2021) - Toeolesulusulu Associate Professor Damon Salesa recognised as Royal Society Fellow
- "Exceptional service recognised in New Year Honours" (University of Otago, 2021) - Dr Tasileta Teevale receives Queen's Honour
- "Professor Palatasa Havea speech to graduates 2020" (Massey University, 2020) - Professor Palatasa Havea delivers hearttfelt at Massey University Graduation Ceremony
- "NZ's first female Pasifika MP Dame Winnie Laban recognised with lifetime achievement award" (TVNZ One News, 2020) - Luamanuvao Dame Winnie Laban receives Lifetime achievement award at 2020 Women of Influence Awards.
- "New online lecture series about the Pacific, for the Pacific" (RNZ, 2020) - Toeolesulusulu Associate Professor Damon Salesa engages young Pacific people with online series on Oceania
Universities New Zealand - Te Pōkai Tara:
Pacific Policy Advisor
Lotofaga (Aleipata), Matatufu, Falelatai, Falefā - Sāmoa